JUST VEGGIES SOUP
- 1 frozen pkg Whole Foods 365 Vegetable Medley (or your favorite frozen veggie mix)
- 1 QT Whole Foods 365 Low-sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 celery stalk, diced
- 2 TBS pecorino cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sweat diced onion, carrot, celery in 1 TBS olive oil.
- Add frozen veggie mix and 1 QT of chicken broth. Bring to a boil and let soup warm.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle soup into a bowl and top with pecorino cheese for extra flavor!
CRUSTLESS SPINACH PIE
Yield: 2 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs (large)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk (1%)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces mozzarella
- 2 cups spinach (chopped, fresh)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter or margarine in an 8 inch baking pan.
- Beat eggs well. Add flour, milk, garlic and baking powder. Pour into baking pan. Stir in cheese and spinach.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until firm and the cheese is slightly golden brown.
ROASTED GARLIC AND LEMON CHICKEN LEGS
This is a very simple one-dish recipe. You just need to cook the vegetables, add your chicken leg quarters and bake until everything is tender. Whether you choose to serve this with rice, crusty bread or another side dish, you are sure to love the combination of flavors and textures this dish offers. Chicken leg quarters are an economical choice and you get them fresh or frozen.
Feel free to change the vegetables when making this. Use whatever is in season locally or whatever looks attractive at your local market. Dense vegetables like potatoes, carrots, parsnips or rutabaga will need the full hour in the oven, while soft ones like mushrooms, bell pepper or zucchini can be added when the chicken goes in, since they take less time to become tender.
We are using dried mixed herbs, garlic and lemon juice to add flavor, and again, you can change this up if you wish. Some people like to drizzle a little white wine over the chicken or fresh basil or rosemary instead of the dried mixed herbs. This recipe boasts plenty of nutrients, along with a healthy combination of protein, carbohydrates and healthy fat, so it gives you plenty of energy!
• 1 lb chopped red potatoes
• 1 cup chopped carrots
• 4 finely chopped garlic cloves
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• Olive oil, as needed
• 2 teaspoons lemon zest
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 2 lbs chicken leg quarters
• 1 cup cherry tomatoes
• Salt and black pepper, to taste
• 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Toss the potatoes, carrots, garlic and onion with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and the lemon zest and juice.
3. Now spread the vegetables in a single layer in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
4. Use foil to cover the pan and bake for 30 minutes.
5. Now rub a little oil over the chicken and season with salt and black pepper.
6. Take the vegetables out of the oven.
7. Remove the foil and add the chicken leg quarters on top, skin side up.
8. You can now add the cherry tomatoes too.
9. Sprinkle dried mixed herbs over everything.
10. Roast for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the chicken is done and the vegetables are tender.
11. You can check the chicken is done by piercing it and checking the juices run clear.
12. If the vegetables start to char, you can put the foil back on the baking dish.
13. Serve hot, sprinkled with parsley.
BARLEY WITH BANANA & SUNFLOWER SEEDS
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup uncooked quick-cooking pearl barley
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted salted sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Combine 2/3 cup water and barley in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 6 minutes.
- Stir and let stand 2 minutes.
- Top with banana slices, sunflower seeds, and honey.
BANANA SPLIT OATMEAL
- 1⁄3 cup oatmeal, quick-cooking (dry)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cups water (very hot)
- 1⁄2 banana (sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen yogurt, non-fat
- In a microwave safe cereal bowl, mix together the oatmeal and salt. Stir in water.
- Microwave on high power for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave on high power for another minute. Stir again.
- Microwave an additional 30-60 seconds on high power until the cereal reaches the desired thickness. Stir again.
- Top with banana slices and frozen yogurt.
Quinoa and Avocado Salad
Quinoa and avocado salad is a wonderfully fresh salad packed with nutrition and great flavors. With every bite you get nutty quinoa, sweet bites of corn, juicy tomatoes and rich chunks of avocado. As for the simple dressing, the use of lemon juice enhances the other ingredients by giving the dish balance as well as a light, bright citrusy aroma.
1 Haas avocado
1 tomato, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth, reduced sodium
- ½ cup quinoa
- ½ can corn, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Rinse and drain the quinoa to remove the bitter tasting saponin from the exterior.
- Add the onion and garlic to a pan over medium heat along with a drizzle of olive oil. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add the quinoa to the pan and toast for a few minutes. This will give the quinoa more flavor.
- Pour in the chicken/vegetable broth. Season with a little salt and black pepper.
- Stir and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Cook the quinoa for 12-15 minutes or until tender and all the liquid has absorbed.
- Remove the cooked quinoa from the heat and leave covered.
- Allow to sit covered for 5 additional minutes.
- Uncover and either leave in the pan to cool or spread on a baking sheet to speed up the cooling process.
- Gently fluff with a fork.
- Place in the refrigerator to finish cooling.
- Transfer the quinoa to a salad bowl along with the tomato and corn.
- Whisk the lemon juice and some olive oil in a small bowl with the cilantro to make a quick dressing.
- Pour half over the salad and toss.
- Peel,pit and dice the avocado.
- Scatter on top of the salad.
- Finish with the remaining lemon and cilantro dressing.
- Adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve immediately or chill in the fridge.
This salad is excellent and includes nothing but healthy ingredients. It has protein,complex carbohydrates,healthy fat and tons of micronutrients. Enjoy every bite and better yet,enjoy eating something that is good for you.